Banning Myself from the Boards
I love so much about the internet – all that information right at my fingertips! But I’m going to have to ban myself from homeschooling sites for a while so they don’t drive me crazy. We started kindergarten this week with Miss D, and I think it’s going to be a lot of fun! With 5 years worth of experience parenting this kid, I generally feel confident that our plans are a great fit for us – lots of launch pads into creative play and learning! But if I look at one particular site, I’m going to end up feeling frustrated and a little discouraged that so many people there would think I’m too structured, would consistently imply that parents like myself are overeager, pushing and damaging their kids by doing things like working on learning how to read. If I look at another site, I’m going to constantly wonder if I’m not doing enough, if there isn’t a better curriculum or game or routine or…
Nope, not going to do it. If it works for us, it works. Everyone else, do your thing. Here was our structured-yet-relaxed day yesterday.
School-y Things We Did
- Looked at the calendar, practiced a memory verse and prayed for our day (5m)
- Handwriting without Tears, letters Cc (5m)
- Explode the Code, 1 page – I offered scrabble tiles, but she chose to write her answers with the capital letters she knows (5m)
- Sorting attribute blocks into overlapping sets (5m)
- Story of the World – First Writing – listen, color, narrate (15m)
- Related book about Egypt (10m)
- From mystery jar – Salsa Spanish (20m), a few logic sheets (5m)
- Reading Eggs, because she wanted to (30m)
- Total: 1hr 10m I planned, 1 hr 40m total
The Other Things We Did, Or Why It Took the Whole Morning (5 Hrs)
- Lots of baby breaks!
- Free play with HWT materials
- Lion King dance party
- Free play with attribute blocks – she made a lion
- First Day of School booklet craft project
- Outside play
- Free play with bristly blocks
- Taking a quiet book and music break
Today is fun schooling – lots of art already, she dictated and then illustrated a book, watched a little Narnia (our just-finished read-aloud), a library trip soon, pool as a family this afternoon, watching the Lorax on the lawn at church tonight!